6 Top Tips Prior to Starting Your Construction Project
Author: Ridda Michail
I recently came across this interesting article by Bhangals Construction Consultants Ltd, entitled "7 Things to do before starting your construction project" which caught my attention since I hope to have a little construction work done on my house in the future and because we supply the very professions that they refer to, namely Quantity Surveyors. I have tweaked it slightly, but here's what they say in essence:
Construction, alteration and renovation can be and is sometimes perceived as being simple, but on the flip side it can also be extremely complicated and fraught with dangers. A few top tips to consider are:
- Prepare a plan and design. You may need to get an architect and/or other consultants to help you.
- Sufficient money. Without sufficient funds to complete your project, the project may not be completed or take longer than expected to complete. Get professional help from a quantity surveyor and draft a best and worst case cost plan. The quantity surveyor should produce a set of contract documents including a bill of quantities and a contract.
- Choose at least three contractors in order to get a variety of quotes. If you have had a bill of quantities produced the quotes will be easier to analyse.
- Once the contractors have given you the quotes, go through them and check that everything has been included. If you have appointed a quantity surveyor they will do this for you. Remember that the lowest quote is not always the best quote.
- Shortlist a minimum of two contractors, get references from them and go to see past jobs they have completed which are similar to your project.
- Ensure you put a payment schedule together; this should be based on the anticipated programme.
So there you have a few bits of advice. I hope it helps and good luck.