Evidence of H&S Training now a Requirement for Many Companies
Author: Guy Shrecker
As budgets get tighter due to the current financial downturn, companies in increasing numbers are requiring contractors and temporary workers to arrive for an assignment 'ready to work', this includes being able to evidence that they have passed a course in Health, Safety and Environmental matters.
HSE Passport is a simple solution as workers will carry a personalised ID card giving evidence of competency in this area, thus ensuring all parties can be confident that the liability for training has been captured.
The interactive and engaging eLearning course includes training in Emergencies, Workplace Safety, Use of DSE, Employee Health (trips, slips, lifting), Personal Safety, Driving Safety and Environmental Issues.
HSE Passport is a cost effective way of capturing the liability for basic Health & Safety training and has the following key benefits:
Online Health & Safety training:
- minimal downtime for contract workers as the course only takes 25-35 minutes to complete ;
- no requirement for travel to a training centre;
- the course is regularly updated to reflect any changes in legislation ; and
- syllabus reflects The Health & Safety Executive INDG381 'Passport Scheme', a good practice guide.
Competency test at the end of the training:
- makes sure that the learner concentrates for the duration of the online course; and
- demonstrates that the individual has gained an understanding of the content.
ID card issued on completion of test:
- features photograph of worker for easy identification;
- lists the core syllabus taken;
- lasts for 1 year with expiry date clearly displayed on the card;
- is portable between assignments;
- can be co-branded .
Simple to operate, no matter how many contract workers need training:
- all administration managed by HSE Passport's competent staff;
- data held on a secure LMS (Learning Management System);
- comprehensive reports available showing status of contract workers either individually or by defined groups;
- HSE Passport staff on hand to guide workers through the process.
More and more companies are stipulating agency or contract workers can demonstrate that they have had basic H&S training before starting an assignment, so holding a HSE Passport should put them in front of the competition and help them to win work.